BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I probably should've followed this advice years ago

I always thought those tips for getting through a writing dry spell were kind of silly. Go for a walk...write in a journal....take a drive, etc. Umm, turns out, they actually kind of work. I've been completely stalled writing for the past week or so (see previous blog) but yesterday (my first day off in months where I didn't have something pressing to do) I decided to give it a shot. I took a long drive (had to bring boyfriend scuba gear an hour and half away) and listened to music I knew I wouldn't sing along with or be distracted by. Eureka! Ideas for Banished appeared in my head as if by magic. When I got home I took a ridiculously long nap (is 5 hours too much?) and when I woke up I decided to go for a walk. No ipod, no dog, just me and the sidewalk. BAM! More ideas.


I kept them in my head, though. I was afraid to jinx myself by trying to write and finding I couldn't translate the ideas to paper. They were in their infancy, not fully formed, when I tried to go to bed. Turns out that 5 hour nap did me a huge favor, because at midnight I was still up and working on TWO of my WIPs, the ideas I thought of earlier turning themselves into full-fledged scenes.

I can't even tell you how relieved I am to feel creative again. Do you ever feel like when you get into a dry spell you'll never have a good idea ever again? I did. Now just let's hope this lasts!

2 comments:

Amparo Ortiz said...

Dry spell is my middle name. Luckily, mine ends when I least expect it. It could be a song, a book cover, or even staring at my dog, and poof! Dry spell = kaput.

Maybe I should try that five hour nap thing... Sounds tempting!

Best of luck with your TWO WIPs!!!!

Renae said...

I hate dry spells. Isn't it wonderful when the ideas just start coming to you? Mine always come when I least expect it. Like at my sons football game. I have to scribble something down quickly before I get "the look" from my husband.

Good luck on you two WIP's! I'm glad I'm not the only one that starts more than one.