BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Writer's Guilt Game

You know how it goes. Every day you have a conversation with yourself that goes something like this:

Friday
"I should really be writing. But, hmm, the kitchen is a mess. And the dog needs a bath. I haven't made the bed since Tuesday....*phone rings*....Now I've agreed to go out to dinner with my bestie. So....I'll write tomorrow. Good plan."

Saturday
"Well...it is my only day off and the male-creature I love also has his first day off in 16 days. We should probably do something coupley like visit a farmer's market or see a movie. So....I'll write tomorrow. Excellent."

Sunday
"Work. All. Day. Am. Exhausted. Can't. Touch. Computer."

Monday
"I haven't written in a week! I am a horrible, pathetic loser type person who will never finish a novel let alone be published!!!!"

It's a sad reality that as much as we would like to, we can't spend all day, every day typing away on our WIPs (okay, I wouldn't really like to do that, but I would like to at least have the option) and as a result we feel guilty when we don't write because of any number of things.

BUT.

I think it is important to remember one thing. WRITING WILL ALWAYS BE THERE.

Your MS isn't going to storm off in a huff because you've been neglecting it and never return. Your writing is like a precious puppy dog. Whether you've been gone five minutes or five days, it's going to be just as happy to see you when you get home *minus the tail wagging and barking*.

So. Go easy on yourself. Live your life, and never feel guilty for choosing to spend time with the people you love instead of writing. Writing will always be there, but those people might not. (But if you can eliminate work/school/cleaning-DO IT).



3 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

Good so I don't have to feel guilty about not writing today!

Witless Exposition said...

This is great advice! Thanks for sharing!

C. N. Nevets said...

I actually blogged about this topic on Monday. My own post was expressing my frustration with this situation, but I got a ton of great suggestions and comments that I would definitely recommend any writer read.